Minutes – CMS Music Boosters
Sept. 17, 2018 at 7:00pm
Present: Jennifer Ramsay, Eric Kobb, Catherine Hammon, John Lennon, Linda Lennon, and Heather Dudley-Tatman, Susan Hazo, Laura Nicholas, Kelly Murphy, Heather Dudley-Tatman
Treasurer’s Report: Current Balance is $3,142.00 (computer check has not cleared)
- Elections - President - Susan Hazo
Treasurer - Karen Whiting
Secretary - Heather Dudley- Tatman
- Dallas Brass - Oct. 24th - in conjunction with EHS Band. Taking 6/7/8 to EHS during school day for workshops/mini-concerts. 75 minute workshops. Followed by lunch, then some will rehearse with Dallas Brass for concert that evening. Middle School group and high school group will be on program - tentatively 7th and 8th grade students, plus 6th grade brass. Optional for percussion. Looking for about 160 kids on the stage. Need parent help with breakfast/lunch tray with waters, coffee, etc… at EHS. Hot dinner delivered to EHS before concert (Heather Dudley-Tatman will do this including vegetarian). Dinner drinks needed. Photographer for the day. Parent chaperones for bus ride over. Morning set-up crew. After concert breakdown crew. Merchandise table may need a parent to help sell. Parents to write to Admin, School Board - personal invitation goes a long way to making our music program known. For 7 people. Send breakdown of address to present members. Set up Volunteer spot for the remainder. Mr. Kobb received a $10,000 grant to bring Dallas Brass here.
- Scholarships - Motion made to fund 4 full/partial scholarships for music lessons. 2nd by Laura Nicholas. Motioned passed.
- Cello reimbursement - Jennifer Ramsay bought 2 full-size cellos for total of $958.40 for 8th graders who need larger size. Looking for Booster reimbursement. - Motion by John Lennon, 2nd by Linda Lennon - Motion passed.
- Hosting NHMEA SE District Music Festival with Strings on May 11, 2019. We will host 3 performing groups here. About 250 kids here with teacher chaperones. Guest conductors. Rehearsals and concert. We need help with breakfast for directors (25-30) and then lunch for all students and directors. Usually pizza or subs, salad, drinks, dessert. Snack table for purchase - our Tri-M kids can run this. Setup and Breakdown crew help needed at concert time. 4:00-6:00 p.m. This usually nets us about $1500.00 as an honorarium for the Boosters.
- 8th Grade Extravaganza Concert will be repeated on May 23, 2019. This will involve all 8th grade band, chorus and orchestra students in the gym. We’ll need $$ for sound guy. Theme will be Stage and Screen Theme.
- Yankee Candle for 8th graders will be held in the month of Oct. for November delivery. These funds go directly to students travelling to NYC.
- Calendar raffle will happen in November for December drawing. 8th grade travelers will be credited to their accounts. 8th grade non-travelers and 6/7th graders will fundraise for general CMS Music Booster fund.
- Advocacy - New central office personnel. CMS Music staff is meeting the new Superintendent this weekend. CMS space crunch has forced us into a smaller space for one of our classrooms. Next year we are revamping the schedule at CMS. While the impact is unknown, it can sometimes negatively affect the programing. Advocacy might be necessary to keep our programs intact. We suggest looking at Opportunity to Learn Standards - Music on NAfME.org website for advocacy materials and what constitutes a basic or effective music program.
The meeting was adjourned at 7:49 .